Tuesday, September 29, 2026

a repentance coach

 

For five years I sat in an office every Sunday while people came in to confess the worst things they'd done. I was barely 30.
I served as a bishop in my church, leading a congregation of about 500 people. Part of that role is what we call being a common judge, which is where the confessions came in.
Early on I would leave the lights off, lock the door, and kneel in the dark, praying. How could I possibly judge these people, with so many of them being more than twice my age?
Then one morning I caught sight of a picture of Christ on the wall, and it occurred to me that he would not have been judging any of them. He would have just listened, and pointed them toward healing.
So I flipped the lights on and changed my title. Instead of judge, I decided I was a repentance coach. I had never heard another bishop call himself that, but it felt right.
What I saw over those five years changed how I see people permanently. A wealthy businessman and a struggling single mother would come in on the same afternoon carrying roughly the same wound.
It shocked me how many quiet crises people carry. Unimaginable amounts of guilt, regret, and sorrow.
I would come home in emotional shock, and my wife would hold me while I tried to process it all.
But I’m grateful for that soul-stretching experience. It taught me about how important compassion is, and why we shouldn’t make assumptions.
Whoever you’re mad or annoyed at today - cut them a break. They likely need it worse than you know.


No comments:

Post a Comment

a repentance coach

  Jeff Burningham     · Follow 14 hours ago   · For five years I sat in an office every Sunday while people came in to confess the worst thi...